View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #50
20mile

Default Safe Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMechEng View Post
WadeJa - This is a handy reference that i found years ago regarding ice thickness. Compliments of the Farmers Almanac
http://www.almanac.com/content/ice-t...s-safety-chart

4 Inches will hold a 'group' of people 'in a single file line'
7 1/2 inches will hold a 2 ton car (Like average sized Sedan)
Yes, that is right, only 7 1/2 inches to hold a car

Technically, the 'pounds per square inch' on a snowmobile is less than a person on foot. (Although this assumes you don't get off the machine).
BUT, as Maxum stated, ice thickness can vary quite a bit.
And the ice thicknesses listed are based on 'Black Ice' (good strong ice without too much entrapped air, etc).

My family has owned a camp in Moultonboro bay for over 100 years.
I've spent my whole life on the water there. Both Frozen & Thawed.
I drive out my snowmobiles & also sometimes my car virtually every year (for fishing, etc).
But i don't drive my car out until there is a minimum of 1 foot 'in the middle'. (Deep water between Suissvale and the Neck).
This is because it's safe to assume that there are thinner spots that may be 8 inches.

Long story short, 7 inches can be safe for a snowmobile.
But if you are 'new' to the lake, or to this area of Moultonboro bay, I suggest giving it a bit more time.
If this cold keeps up, the ice (in that area of M-boro bay) should be in great shape by end of Dec.

*Disclaimer - Above is my 'opinion' based on my own 30+ yrs experience.
But I can't be held liable for my opinions on this topic. Good Luck
I have been going on the ice for over 40 years. The quality of the ice and how hard it is makes a big difference. Last year we had a hard freeze early. We secured our ice shack down on 3-4" of ice. We also had two ATVs out there with us. By no means should anyone experiment on thin ice. Doing so can put one's life in peril. see attached photos. Photo shows the 2 x 4 under the ice as a tie down for the shack. Yes I know it looks scary.
Attached Images

Last edited by 20mile; 12-22-2016 at 08:21 PM.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote