View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
No I believe woman are more easily scared by anything that may be dangerous to them or there children. EVEN IF ITS FALSE INFORMATION !!
Please look at the facts !!
Slower boats make larger wakes then faster ones "Laws of hydrodynamics"
Speed is well down the list of causes for fatalities.
The lake is so large , putting a blanket speed limit on the entire thing at all times is REDICULOUS !!
Wake up folks !!
Big brother is watching
It's more like woman are more mature. Try using your body and your skill instead of horsepower sometime. Speed is a very relative thing. If you want thrills, try kayaking on class III white water, or out in on a large lake during rough weather, or try xc skiing on expert slopes. I've done all those things and much more. I don't scare that easily.

My fear of being out on a lake among high speed powerboats is based on my own personal experience. I've had speeding boats come very close and it was obvious that they didn't even see me until the very last second. If they are going slower that will buy me a few more seconds.

Speed is often not sited as the cause of an accident simply because of the lack of a speed limit, yet speed is still listed 4th on the USCG report for the cause of boating accidents. I also have brought this up before: Accidents with less than $2000 damage aren't even on the USCG report, unless a person suffered injuries that require medical treatment. So the report isn't even covering all boating accidents. And most kayaks and canoes cost less than $2000.

Why is it that you guys are bringing up larger wakes as a reason for not having a speed limit? Most of us are not afraid of large wakes - we're afraid of being run over. Large wakes don't bother me a bit, in fact I enjoy surfing on them.

And there isn't a "blanket speed limit" - there's a 45mph MAXIMUM speed - you still have to slow down to headway speed whenever you're within 150 feet of other vessels, or of the shore (including islands).

Here's a basic law of physics for you: the faster a boat is traveling, the more distance it will cover in the time that it takes the operator to react to avoid another object. A boat traveling at 90 mph covers 132 feet in one second - at 45 mph it covers half that distance. Those extra 66 feet are very important to me and to others who supported this bill.