View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #46
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The Weirs has plenty of potential. As others have noted there is the NHVA compound to consider. But I think that is something that can probably be dealt with, once the business in the area make some investments. Once the surrounding area has been made to look more presentable, getting donations to do something about the VA compound will be easier......

As others have said there needs to be a master plan for the area. Business right now don't know what to do in that area..... Is it going to continue to be a board walk atmosphere? Is it going to start being developed to be the next Meredith? What happens to bike week once that area, really starts to develop in one direction or another? These are all the questions a master plan helps to deal with.

Bike Week is to important to the area too loose. However as it is currently run, it would be hurt by development. As so much of the free space would start to be used. However Bike week can't make decisions about how to evolve until the area makes a step towards how it is going to evolve.

Do we see the dependencies here????

This is why the area remains in its current state.

I personally feel the area is best suited to remain, and be developed as a Family Destination..... what does that mean...

1. Well there is a Water Park that remains closed, Surf Coaster, the city and state could look to create incentives in the way of property tax breaks etc. that would entice someone to buy the facility and bring back to life.

2. Work with Land owners which have large lots to bring in more then just bike week vendors... Once again property tax brakes based on land utilization usually help bring this on...... Right now the land owners have no incentive to develop the land... they make a killing during bike week, with out any improvements, so why improve the land... Giving an incentive to a land owner, who puts up a building which can house not only Bike Week vendors, but craft fairs, etc. will bring events into the area...

3. Work on property tax incentives for current property owners and business who improve there properties.....

Do we see the trend here... make incentives, things will improve.....Laconia, needs to spawn the re-vitalization of the area, by making it beneficial for business and land owners to make improvements. Deciding how the incentives work that is where the master plan comes in... The tax incentive for a fresh coat of paint isn't the same as that for putting up an event building.

Everything I have seen to date, tells me Laconia and the State are not make it interesting to developers to start bring about change...