View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Disclaimer: I am not a carpenter or tradesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
You can order a new panel from HD, Lowes and other sources. I did this on a garage door a few years back. The door (over 10 years old) had a fiberboard sheathing which rotted. It is not a one person job though so I would hire someone to do it.
Disclaimer: I am not a carpenter or tradesman. That being said, when we lived out in upstate NH, I had one garage door panel that had water damage from a faulty downspout. Downspout was an easy fix.

We talked to several garage door companies, and they wanted to replace the whole door. Ended up at a home improvement store, and talked to them about just a panel. I actually had a picture of the doors, and we took a good look at the picture with the salesman. He said it looked like a standard door. I had all the measurements on the door panel, and he had an exact match. Here's what he told me to do.

Pull the emergency release on the door so it can be raised and lowered manually. We had already primed and painted the new panel, and attached the rubber seal. We unbolted or unscrewed the hardware from the damaged panel. Raised the door all the way. Measured for the rollers on the sides, and the connector for the cable(I think this was the panel it was attached to). Put the door on shims on the floor and in the tracks. Lowered the door. Installed the hinge to the lower panel. Raised the door enough to get the shims out (shims kept door level.). Connected the cable. Once again made sure door went up and down manually. Then connected the door to the opener, crossed my fingers, held my breath, and pushed the button. Got a high five from the wife. Woo hoo, I was a hero, but that probably only lasted for less than a day.

This was 20 something years ago, so my memory may have failed, but the info is as correct as my aged memory allows. Hope it helps.
Ps: I was actually surprised at how easy it was. Due to my inexperience, I was reading my notes / instructions two and three times, then drilling / bolting / connecting once. I think it only took about an hour / hour and a half, once the installation process started.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Sponsored Links