Thread: Anadama Bread
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
Chickie

Default Anadama Bread Website

Salty dog: What a great website - thanks so much for posting the link. Melissa's video presentation on how to proceed in making Anadama Bread is excellent. She makes it look so easy. The history behind it goes back farther than I ever dreamed. It had to be good for people to keep the tradition going for so long. For some reason it has fallen out of favor in recent days, but I think it is high time to revive it. Bring back the Anadama Bakery!

My mother's recipe is very similar to the one Melissa gives on the website. I have a feeling my mother revised the original a bit to suit her own taste. Her recipe is a little lighter on the molasses than Melissa's. She used to brush the loaves with melted butter and sprinkle a little cornmeal on top. She usually made plain loaves, but for special occasions she would form the dough into 14 small balls and put two rows of five each in the bottom of the loaf pan. In the center of those two bottom rows, she would place the last four in a row on top. It made an attractive loaf.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote