View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts

I think I recall from another thread here that the 24' Sea Ray Deck Boat is about the most popular boat on the lake. There's no question Irwin Marine and Sea Ray have great reputations. I understand the appeal of the open bow for mooring, spreading out the guests, etc. Personally, as an island resident, I prefer the closed bow for rough water. It also gives a cuddy cabin for safe storage of equipment, out of sight when you are at public docks. Nice to be able to leave some extra jackets or whatever on board so you don't have to load and unload every time you go out. If you are financing, the cuddy may make sense since sleeping quarters and a head make the loan interest tax deductible as a "second home". If your boat is exposed to the weather a lot, I'd look for a model that doesn't have a lot of upholstery on the sides of the cockpit or decks. It's easy to reupholster seats. Not so easy to do all those trim panels that are subject to more wear and tear than you might expect. If you fish, nothing with carpet, or at least snap in carpets. It's a lot easier to wash and mop than it is to vacuum. Same applies if you like to picnic and spill food when a wave hits.
I've had a lot of boats, but never a 'toon. However, they're getting to be very popular, so they certainly deserve a look.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: