Thread: Good-bye
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #52
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I suppose I'll chime in even though I swore I wouldn't comment on this tread. Like it or not here's my two cents.

1: This is a FOURUM which by definition means the following: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. How the heck can ideas or issues be exchanged when there are those who are so easily "offended" either by someone who shares an idea they don't agree with or discusses subject matter they don't like results in the request to squash said conversation? I'm sorry but in all honesty, grow a pair. I have more respect for somebody who I disagree with but has the fortitude to say what they think, throw it out there and stand behind it versus attempts to filter/control the conversation from a particular point of view.

2: Don - you have a tough job here and I have been a long time member here and since the early days I think you have been fair in moderating this forum and keeping it as even keeled as possible. For those comments you posted, not surprised in the least but at the same time if some members feel that way good riddance to them, let them go throw their little temper tantrums and bring that childish language elsewhere. I personally want to once again thank you for providing a forum for those of us to enjoy.

3: While some may disagree, the discussion of political matters and even specific candidates I think is fair game on this forum within reason. I don't support all out endorsements of any candidate even though I myself have my own point of view on certain matters. However pointing out various political views of such candidates and what they have supported does have a direct impact on the area, the lake and those with a vested interest around the lake such as property owners. As with past discussions over certain pieces of legislation dare I mention the speed limit debate, it is relevant to the lake in that these pieces of legislation don't just magically appear, they are authored and submitted by our elected officials. Therefore discussions about candidates up for election should be had provided that the conversation remain civil. We all have our points of view and regardless of political ideology, allowing these to play out isn't a bad thing. In fact I typically find these conversations engaging so long as they remain substantive.

4: I agree there is absolutely no excuse for any kind of personal attacks or insults and any screening of and removal of such posts is warranted.

Finally, oh the drama! For the weak minded, or those that are easily offended, maybe an open forum like this is not the place for you. For the rest of us that regularly participate and exchange our thoughts and opinions, hats off to you all I enjoy the conversation. Keep it up - it keeps this forum not only interesting but at times educational.

Speaking of voicing your opinion, today is election day, get out and vote!

Cheers to you all!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: