View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #25
KayakinKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
My issue is, I need a new battery for an old laptop. The removable battery pack has been dead for years, however, I've been running OK on AC power, up until the last 2 weeks.

Now the laptop will not power up, even when connected to AC?
I tried removing battery pack, then reinstalled, but AC will not power on machine?

Laptop is oldddddd ( no comments please)
Toshiba Satellite A15-S127 model
Running Windows XP

Laptop was used to perform Federal taxes in the past, and I need to download those files off this laptop, and upload to other new laptop.

Thoughts?
I'm late to this party, but better late than never, right? A new battery would run you about $60-80. Considering that you have a new laptop, and the age and specs of your old Toshiba, I'd go with pulling the hard drive and connecting it to your new laptop, and then transferring the files to your laptop. You would want something like this; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-002-_-Product This is the same one that I've used for a number of years.

I don't know how computer savvy you are or your comfort level with pulling things apart. If you don't have anyone in your circle of family or friends who is comfortable tearing into computers, shoot me a PM. I live in Concord, N.H., but would be willing to travel to help you out. You provide a meal and good conversation, and we'll call it even.

Another thing to try with your old laptop is the following;
1: Disconnect the AC adapter from the laptop
2: Pull the battery out of the old laptop.
3: Hold the power button down continuously for 30 seconds
4: Put the battery back into the laptop
5: Connect the AC adapter to the laptop and plug in
6: Attempt to power on

If it boots up and you have a USB flash drive, connect the flash drive and pull the needed files off.

**EDIT** Almost forgot the most simple of things, your AC adapter may have finally died. Some adapters have a power light on the brick, others don't. Check that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
I am totally computer-illiterate, but this thread has got me thinking about my previous laptop that died three years ago. And I'm embarrassed to tell you that I never backed up a single thing -- DUMB. We were living in Florida at the time, so I took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad, paid them $100 to try to resurrect it, and they couldn't get it to even turn on. Then we took it to a local computer store for a second opinion, and got the same answer. They said the only answer would be to send it out to a dust-free place, pay at least $1,500, and then "maybe" they could get it going. So, instead, we put it in the closet and bought a new one, but I'm always HOPING that newer technology can get it going again because I have five years' worth of photos that I would love to get back. Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? THANK YOU!!!!
Depending on why your hard drive stopped working, the data may still be salvageable. On a HDD drive, there is a circuit board on the bottom of the hard drive. For a period of time, the boards were made with non-lead solder, which created issues after a number of power cycles. The solder connections cracked, and the hard drives would no longer power up. If this is what occurred, it may be possible to retrieve your files without having to go the ultra expensive route. I would be willing to take a look at it, and see if it can be brought back from the dead. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by KayakinKid; 10-05-2014 at 10:03 AM.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote