View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
ghfromaltonbay

Default Best time from Northern NJ

Leaving Clifton, NJ at 6:30 am most days, I can usually make it to Alton Bay, NH (specifically Sandy Point) in 5 hours flat, providing there are no traffic delays and 1 quick pit stop in Conn at the rest area on 84 at just past Exit 69. The route I take is the Garden State Parkway north to the NY line (12 miles) and from there the NY Thruway across the Tappan Zee Bridge and then 287 to the Merritt Pkwy, to 91N, 84E, Mass. Pike to 495 (especially since 290 is under construction), then 3 North to Everett Tpke., 93 to Exit 15 in Concord. From there, 393 to 4/9/202, take the shortcut thru Chichester at the light just past Meyers RV's avoiding the Epsom Circle, and 28N to 11 at the Alton Circle. The trip is approx. 308 miles. I try to keep the cruise control at 68 mph on 84 and also on 495, which also lets me stretch my legs a bit. This route seems to be the best when travelling during the week either before or after the rush hour. I know taking 290 thru Worcester cuts off 7 miles, but the construction has slowed me down when I've tried it even during mid-morning. Now that EZ Pass has arrived in NH I don't have to stop to pay tolls or fish tokens out of the ash tray for the entire 300 mile trip.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote