View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #29
Dave R

Just want to be clear. I have never advocated maintaining course and speed if it means risk of collision. During my outing on Sunday, there was never any risk of collision. The term "collision course" is not meant to imply risk, it just means that two objects will occupy the same space at some point if at least one does not change course or speed. If you are moving on a lake, you are ALWAYS on a collision course with something since the boundaries are finite.

When mine is the give-way boat, I bet the pilot of the stand-on vessel rarely knows we were ever on a collision course. As the give-way, I endeavor to make small course adjustments very early so that the collision course is prevented long before it's even apparent to most people. If another boat is on a constant bearing (relative to you) with a decreasing range, you are on a collision course. You can easily see this with miles of separation of you know what you are looking for. As the give-way, simply adjust course a few degrees to starboard and assuming the stand on boat maintains course and speed, the relative bearing on the stand on boat will begin to decrease as range decreases. When that happens, there's no collision course.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote