View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Sorry DaveR, the article didn't provide any more details, other than what I previously stated.

BTW, took the boat out today on Winnie, what a gorgeous day, no wind, flat water, but the humidity was oppressive !

When I started the engine, it smoked some at the dock, but not over smoked. Of course the engine was cold, and I guess that's normal behavior of 2 strokes, until they warm up.

Ran engine at about 4000-4500 RPM's, and it didn't miss a stroke, just runs great, and remarkably smooth.
Stopped at a couple islands along the way, for lunch and a swim, motoring at wake speed with little or no smoke.

Being my first year with an outboard, and a 2 stroke at that, what I do notice is it uses a lot more gas that my 4.2L Mercruiser.

Will continue to monitor smoke issue for rest of season. Still a few good w/e's before I have to winterize....
I like Winterizing an outboard, nuthin' to it. I think your engine even has spray ports for fogging oil, right on the carburetors.

That motor will use about 15% more gas per HP produced than a 4 stroke, that's the downside of old carbureted outboards. The latest direct injection two strokes are remarkably efficient.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote