Thread: Lobster Pound
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Happy Gourmand

I have no dog in this hunt, but there is a big difference in price between hard shell and soft shell lobsters. SOMETIMES you can get the hard shell lobsters in the supermarket, but not at any price close to what the new shell (soft) are selling for.
I feel that the price difference is justified as the hard shell lobsters are packed tight with meat. How many times have you cracked a nice looking claw on a soft shelled lobster and gotten a "finger" of meat at best?
I'm not defending anybody, or calling anybody any names. I'm just trying to bring some facts to the table.
If a restaurant pays $8 per pound for a 2 pound lobster. that's $16. A restaurant generally will price a meal at 3 times the cost of the main item, that would be $48 in this case. There are a lot of costs associated with putting out that 2 pound lobster...staff...rent...utilities...licenses...et c...etc.
Somebody mentioned that the price of a 2 pound lobster at the LP is $40. Assuming it is for a hard shelled version, that seems pretty reasonable, doesn't it?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote