View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #73
MilhouseEnterprises

Default Reply to all

What I was trying to say when I said there are more bad installers than good, was a heavy suggestion to check references and reputation of anyone you use. I was also making the point, that this is where Geothermal got its bad reputation from in NH, most of this is due to the fact that the state does not regulate installers with licensing like other stated do. So in this statement I wasn't trying to say "I'm good and everyone else isn't" because if I couldn't earn your business, I would rather have you choose a good installer and get a great reliable system so the reputation of Geothermal builds up.

On maintenance, yes they have little to no maintenance, on closed loop the most you might have to do is replace a circulatory pump, on open loop you have to check and clean the sediment filter once and a while but its easy, and every 15-20 years you have to replace the well pump but you would have to do that anyway since it is also your potable water source. If you have an air based system, the air filter needs to be changed or cleaned and the cabinet vacuumed out. On average an oil based system lasts 15-18 years, the average Geothermal system lasts 25-35 years, all these facts can be found on the EPA website or Geoexchange.org.

the 10 well system on Winne is a closed loop on a very large home. Many installers won't do open loop systems, and while it is true that open loop systems do require more maintenance and careful design, they are 30% more efficient than closed loop systems, and have a lower initial cost therefore a faster payback. Its just one of those things you have to decide for yourself as its all opinion on which way to go, both work great, my personal opinion is to go with open loop whenever possible as it saves a lot of initial cost and cuts more monthly expense in the long run, you just have to deal with cleaning the sediment filter, but there is a way to make this automatic too for a few extra bucks, but a typical system only needs it cleaned every 3 months, and all it involves is a 5 gallon bucket and 30 seconds, not a big deal.

Jeff K, $600 is very high for a Geothermal electric bill, I think there are ways your bill can be reduced. My average Geothermal customer spends $150-$350 per month on heating in Jan and Feb depending on how cold it gets. If you are an open loop, did you get a variable speed well pump (also called continuous pressure pump)? if not, change it out, that would explain the high electric, with your size house the bill shouldn't go over $400.

I have a 2500sqft test case in Rochester that was built in the early 1900's, only updates were blown in insulation and ducting insulation and sealing, replacement windows. The total electric cost for the Geothermal system (its on a separate meter) and well pump have not exceeded $165 in any given year. System is a 4 ton water to air, open loop. Cost to install was $23,600. Incentives paid for roughly 1/2 the cost leaving the initial investment at $12,000. Annual savings over oil was $3600 so payback was 3 1/2 years. This customer happens to be a financial annalist, and is happy to show anyone interested the system and the numbers.

I hope this clarifies some things, I know I can't please everyone, and of course I'm looking to make a living and hoping to earn business, but I make an HONEST living, I don't overcharge, and I don't do the dancing monkey routine with high pressure sales, smoke and mirrors. I give you the facts, I prove it with facts from the EPA and Test cases, I back up my reputation with hundreds of satisfied customers, and I educate you to make a better decision on your purchase even if it is not with me, because I believe the more well designed Geothermal systems we get out there that run as they should and make happy customers, the better the industry will succeed as a whole. So even if you have no intent on purchasing or installing a system, and just want to learn more, please don't hesitate to call or e-mail me, I don't charge for information. Also feel free to google "Milhouse Enterprises" online, you will find many top rated reviews about us that are independent reviews from our customer base, completely unbiased. chris@milhouseenterprises.com 603-300-2943
MilhouseEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilhouseEnterprises For This Useful Post: