View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
chasedawg

Default Geothermal heating

We installed Geothermal in our home and absolutely love it. I know several other home owners that would agree with me. However, that being said, like always, you have to have a professional installer that has been trained specifically on Geothermal. When checking into Geothermal ourselves we hear stories about people who did not like Geothermal. It turns out their installation was not done properly. If they used a well for water source in some cases the well was not deep enough. The system was not sized properly, etc.
We heat 5000 sq ft. with 14' ceilings including garage which has radiant heat floors. The heat is a gentle heat. No cold spots. You set the temperature at 68 degrees and it never goes lower or higher. We were told that heating and cooling our home would cost us $5500 a year with gas or oil. We pay $1500 a year with Geothermal. That to me is a pretty good pay back. The survey was done by NH Coop. They did offer a $4500 rebate if you met certain qualifications. I'm not sure I would do it for a seasonal home on an island, however. Digging a well plus not having the house well insulated would not be worth it for me.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote