View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #31
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
This is not a fair assessment unless you know for a fact that local restaurants are not hiring graduates from local colleges. Also the restaurant industry in the winter months are slower. I do not know any industry that actively hires in the "off season" as the hospitality industry does.
I agree, Broadhopper you're way off track on this one. First of all there are probably a hundred if not more applicants for one of these jobs. The business doing the hiring is going to weed through all the applicants and narrow it down to just a few then finally the one. Many times jobs are filled by those more experienced because the job requires someone who can hit the ground running.
As with any other job, sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
As for seasonal jobs, as much as I hate to see new faces in town during the summer, many of which are on work visa's, taking jobs that the locals could be working at, many of today's youth just do not want to work. They expect to be paid way above what they are worth and then they just do not want to work. But on the other side of the coin, who wants to take a job in a tourist area knowing full well they will be laid off in the fall.
Lots of variables to consider BH.