View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Propane heating

I recently built lakefront property on Rocky Pond. I was told by the building inspector that any tanks, propane, oil or otherwise cannot be buried due to state codes. You may want to look into that.

The 2500' home has 5 star energy rating and was featured in a number of trade magazines for efficiency. The building was constructed to RBC 2010 energy codes even though the town had not adopted to it. (Long story).

The home is heated with System 2000 propane unit that provides both heating and hot water. Three zones valves with baseboard heating. The three bathrooms have propane infrared wall units. There is a propane fireplace in the main room. There are gas applainces like gas kitchen stove and gas laundry dryer. The dryer has a heat exchanger that extract heat from the dryer vent. Even the outside gas grill is connected.

The present owner has two 300 gals tanks off the driveway. The last time I talked to her she only fill up the tanks twice a year or 1200 gal @ year. She is currently locked in with Fuller's at 1.75. So I am looking at $2100 for all her energy needs. That is less than $10 a foot!

For cooling the owner has the Mitsubushi system from EnergySavers. It is connected to the System 2000 so that they work together. Pretty slick!