View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgefarmer63 View Post
BR, You sound like you're familiar with Maine sledding trails. Where would you suggest to sled in Maine that weekend if you wanted to avoid the rush?

Was talking to a fellow in Tilton last week. He said Long lake or Silver lake was awesome last week.

You're thoughts?
We ride the area around Moosehead lake on out to Millinocket and over to Eustis. Out side of this area I really cannot tell you with any confidence how the riding is.
I do know we stay away from Rangley only because it is a main destination and therefor the trails take more of a beating then the more outlying trails do.
The problem with the 3 state weekend is there are only 3 trails that cross the border into Maine. That means that EVERY sled that comes and goes has to go on these 3 trails. Once your over the border things branch out some.

We love Maine, we have ridden NH and VT and in our opinion no other New England state comes even close to the quality of riding and diversity that the state of Maine has. We can spend a week riding back country trails that have never seen another sled on them or climb skidder trails to the top of mountains.
The one drawback to where we ride is that it takes us 4.5 hours to get to our camp, but it is worth every minute of it in the end.
I hope this helps.
BR