View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #50
inquiring one

Default CONTRACTOR problem

Not trying to start a war. Something to ponder:
I have swung a hammer for 30 yrs. and have been in business for several of them. I have been a consultant for a prominent lawyer against “bad contractors” Things aren’t always “fair”. I have used contracts and have skipped the process altogether, been paid in advance, stages, or upon completion. We have built 5 custom lakefront homes without contracts and they have been the most pleasant experiences to date. Being a “good contractor” I’ve Been stiffed for $26,000 on one job, $10,000 on another and had to wait 9 months for $22,000- Customers are responsible for the cost of materials now…I’m not a bank and don’t feel I should be financing their projects. . On the flip side, a job we framed recently is shut down because the homeowner hired a roofer that walked away with the $10,000 deposit. The police told him it was a civil matter and best of luck; he has to convince the attorney general that there is a pattern of behavior before they will help. Another had a Plumber referenced ….He walked away too!
I have been asked for references, no problem. One customer asked so many questions that I felt as though I was being interrogated. That conversation came to end when I told them I’d supply all the information with the estimate after running a credit check. The woman became offended and couldn’t understand why I would even consider such a thing.
There are good & bad tradesmen out there as well as good & bad people looking to hire them. I have found that contracts are similar to locks…..great for the honest folks. Those that know how to get around them are usually the ones that want ‘em. I’ve been told “my grandfather told me not to do anything until it is in writing and signed” to which I respond “my grandfather said to me: “Don’t trust anyone who can’t seal their word with a handshake” The bottom line is we all have to trust our gut. Doing the right thing isn’t always profitable, but I am able to call the folks I’ve done work for friends (‘cept the -$10,000 one!) and my conscience doesn’t keep me awake at night. Best of luck
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote