View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
We put in replacement windows because the original ones were very drafty. The brand we chose was Harvey, out of Waltham, MA. They are plastic as well as the Pella, but we were very happy with them. When we tore down the old house, we were able to save the windows and reuse them in the newly built garage. We used a contractor out of Wolfeboro to install them in the original house, but unfortunately, I can't remember their name.
The ones we like the ReliaBilt are also all plastic as well. I did price out Harvey and found them to be significantly higher. They do make a good window though. The one really noticeable difference is that the nailing flange, which is only used on new construction windows, sticks out far enough away from the window so you don't have to worry about hitting the window casing when installing it. The Pella window has a very tight flange.
Honestly the ReliaBilt window far surpassed what I expected since they had no windows on display I could look at. So essentially I was shooting blind.
Having worked with many good contractors I’ve become knowledgeable enough to tackle installing my own windows. They really are not hard at all to install, you just need all the proper tools as well as knowledge of siding and trimming out the inside.