View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #36
NoBozo

Default RI Narragansett Bay Report

I took a ride down the hill to the Hinkley Yacht Yard today. This is a Mega Yacht boat yard and marina on the west side of Aquidneck Island . The scene was Controlled Mayhem. Every boat is being hauled. The typical boat length is 70 feet....mostly sail. Every boat must come out..or GO somewhere else. They will be working around the clock.

I talked with someone whom I took to be management. They are concerned that the Entire Marina, which is pretty well protected all around from seas by granite walls built by the Navy a century ago..... (Floating Docks inside) might just float away en mass when the "Surge" ..12'..?? comes through. The normal tide rise here is 5 feet. The pilings holding the floating docks in place are just SO Tall. The concern is that the surge will LIFT everything Over the tops of the pilings and everything sails off up the bay.

So everything is being hauled onto land. NOW.. once on shore..they have to run lines and guy wires to the tops of the masts of the big boats (130+ feet tall) and anchor them at the bottom with very large concrete blocks (called dead men) so the boats won't blow over.

Boating is a hassle when a storm comes...no matter how big (or small) you are...

Good Luck My Friends up at tha lake. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote