View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
I gave it a quick scrub with a wire brush to get some of the really egregious rust dealt with, and vacuumed it out.

[...]

So right now, I have the engine sitting on its side at like a 45 degree angle, with the offending cylinder filled to the brim with vinegar. We'll see what that does in a few days.

Whataya think? Is it salvageable or am I scrod?
Well, you're kind of at the 'what have you got to lose' stage there. It would be faster and simpler to get a donor engine and swap that in, but if you're up for a challenge, and willing to fail miserably as a distinct possibility, go for it.

To set expectations, the best case for this without going to the machine shop is an engine that runs, but smokes and burns oil a bit. The possibilities go downhill from there.

Careful with that wire brush, Eugene. Don't scar up things unnecessarily. Resist the temptation to go at it with anything more substantial than a plastic scraper. Maybe a brass bristle brush or a very VERY fine (read: worn out) Scotchbrite pad if you're careful, but work slowly.

Make sure you've got the whole cylinder filled, completely submerging it is best. You'll get a rust line where the top of the liquid meets the air. If/when the piston frees up, the vinegar will go somewhere...probably past the rings and into the bottom end. Make sure you can rinse everything down to stop the corrosive action of the vinegar, and also get some oil or something on afterwards to keep it from rusting again. If nothing else, wipe it all down with paper towels and then hose it down with WD-40.

This is really a caveman approach, but...it might just work.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote