View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #107
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Welp I think that a speed limit is coming. Yell and scream all you want, there is an increasing number of boaters that either don't care, are to irresponsible or are just plain idiots piloting boats out there (of all sizes, makes brands etc...). Now compound the problem with the increased traffic. Right now the MP has rules that can be enforced such as inappropriate operation that is considered dangerious, however that is subject to opinion which makes it difficult to site and argue in court. Having something such as a speed limit now enables the MP to make a more cut and dry case. I personally think that this is way overdue. Boat manufacturers are making more powerful boats which just entices the operator to light it up and go. Unfortunatly this is a judgement call of the operator and is tough to legislate, however some deterrant needs to be put in place. It's no different IMHO than the speed limits on the road (which still get ignored), however there is a speeding ticket hanging over your head should you get caught.

I also beg to differ on the premise that speed is not a common factor in most accidents on the lake, it's really tough to screw something up at headway speed. Granted even at 20 MPH people could get killed, but the chances increase substantially as that increases to 45+ MPH, especailly with no brakes.

I'm in agreement with most in that the boater education is a joke here. Trouble is the cost of creating a more comprehensive course is going to be huge and probably will not to much more in the way of making the lake any safer.

I do think that attempting in any way to restrict boat access to the lake is a dangerious precedient to set and opens the door to cutting off public access all together... I pay far to much in taxes to this state, I'll be d*mned if somebody says I can't put my boat on a lake in my own state, ESPECAILLY if the lake is over run with out of staters.

My final comments on this little rant is that it is sad that new laws have to hit the books however something has to be done. There are far to many with 0 brains and 0 common sense. The funny thing is they have 0 cule they are the ones at fault too. UH - DUH!

Hope you all have a good and safe boating season.