Thread: Change of Plans
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #18
songkrai

Well, good luck. Wolfeboro is a good choice.

But just be forewarned. Grass is always greener on the other side of the road.

Some have moved to NH and find it wonderful. Many are retired some of their expectations are different from younger people. Families do move here and find it wonderful also. Some also do find NH cold and unfriendly. And they ultimately move back to an urban area.

Just remember the temperatures here are probably 20 degrees colder then NJ. Winters can be long. And lots and lots of snow shoveling. If renting then you really don't have to worry much. But if purchasing a home you will have to do all yourself or hire someone. Although there are many fine trades people here some find it quite frustrating finding any repair/trade person to actually show on time as expected or show up at all.

I have been fortunate to have been born in NH and lived off and on in NH my entire life. But I have been fortunate to live and work in many parts of this country and foreign lands.

Some people have the myth perception that New Hampshire is the same as New Jersey (NY,CT,RI, etc.) but with more trees and less taxes. It is not. NH lacks many of the cultural and shopping amenities that people in those urban states take for granted.

I hope you are not moving to Wolefboro cold turkey. I hope that you have friends or relatives in the area. If not, I highly suggest you join as many groups or organizations as possible such as the Lions Club and such. And if a church goer - join and become active in the church. And possibly if time alows do some volunteer work at the local hospital. For the good of others of course but for the good of yourself - to find friends and to meet people.

Good Luck.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote