View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
My first comment is regarding purchasing my tanks. I went to a plumbing supply house and purchased them without any difficulty. I believe it was a shade over $538 for each 120# tank including delivery cost.

Yes. I just called the gas company and told them that I would like my tanks filled and they just asked if I have used them before (account with them) and I just said no and they are homeowner tanks. They said OK and made arrangements for a service tech come to the house at no cost and check for possible leaks and filled out the appropriate paperwork and gave me a copy and the following day the gas was delivered. Oh, I had to open an account and they asked for a payment for an amount that it would cost to fill them using the % left in the tanks. Anything above or below the payment was either credited or collected at the time of the delivery.

As mentioned above they just checked the system for leaks and that is done in my case at the generator and with just a gage. I can not answer if they would have to check each appliance.

Regarding the cost both companies I used gave me the cost up front even before I told them what it was for. In my case I know the price wasn't higher because all I was using it for was a generator therefore use would be low usage making the price higher than someone doing their whole home.
Hope this helps and answers some of your questions, but each company/service can very, but a phone call will solve that problem.

Look. I own my own takes and I am with you on this.

You state that you went out and purchased the tanks. Who hooked them up? Probably a propane company and you had to open an account and they checked all fittings.

So in this scenario, you must call, fill out application, with each and every propane company in order to shop around for all good prices. This may not be a hassle for you. But my guess is that most do not want all these technicians coming into their homes each time you open a new propane account and the required paperwork and credit checks. But once this is done/accomplished - then you can just phone around for the best propane price. It's a trade off I guess. I do get lower propane costs. But factor in the price and installation of an owned propane tank and how much are you relly saving? I guess if you view this in the long term the payoff may be worth it.

I just recommend oil to people. With oil, you can swap around companies without anyone coming insdie your kitchen, basement, etc. and recording all serial numbers of all appliances.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote