View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
The Hairy Beast

Default First Weekend Of Winni Salmon Season: April 02-03, 2011

Thanks to the Noreaster Snowstorm Friday, opening day of salmon season was postponed for this Beast until Saturday, That wasn'tt so bad because Saturday I caught nine salmon and one fat 20-inch rainbow trout.

I only got one salmon pic - the others were all too small to bother with, I just hand released em. But this one was bigger so Travis landed it for me - here's some shots:

Trav caught this little fella, he got six for the day

Here are some other people NOT catching fish:

Fishing was good if you could get next to the icepack - that;s where I got my big rainbow, of which I have no pics because Trav insisted he should land it...

And a little video never hurt anyone:

Segue to a FACEBOOK post, Sunday morning:
3:23 am: ok, this has officially been a very long day. I got home from work at 1am saturday morning, snatched 5 hours sleep and hit Alton by 8am, I came back at 6pm and as i was cooking supper my neighbor Paul came by and invited me out to go drinking with him and some girls he'd lined up via a local band he knew. Naturally i went, and we shut down the bar at 1am and took a few ladies home for more drinks.

So I may not be at the lake before 10am today.

I will be wearing a brown CABELAS cap, tan fly vest and deep brown bags under my eyes.
So today I got up with a decent hangover at 9am and rolled out for the lake by 10. Wet a line at 11 and proceeded to raise fish after fish after fish but they wouldn't hit - only look. I did manage to pop little one. Eventually I gave up my spot (I was getting dizzy and the wind was brutal) to a young guy with his father in law who was out fly fishing for the first time. The kid was making the transition from spinning tackle in salt water to the finer angling arts. He also started raising fish and then he finally nailed one. Here it is

And that's the start of the season for this Beast! Rain coming and warmer weather, next the Salmon will move up into the river and open to fishing in waders and from the bank. Oughta be a hoot

Last edited by The Hairy Beast; 04-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post: