View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Cate
I bought my house 16 years ago and it has a dug well. Never heard of any mortgage lender having a problem with that. In fact I just refinanced and that certainly was never brought up in either financing situation.

I have had great water quality. In fact, my neighbor drilled a well next to my property and had very hard water with sulphur smells requiring a full water softening system. For the first 5 years I only had a sediment filter and the water was fantastic. It tested just fine. After about tens years I was noticing green staining in the sinks from the water. When I inquired it turned out that my water was acidic which was caused by salt runoff from a nearby highway. I had to install an acid nutreulizer which made the water harder and thus install a softner system as well. Works great but boy there is nothing like the quality of the water that came out of my dug well without any treatment. I have my Dads house and my sisters house in the same area with drilled wells and as is with most NH drilled wells, they need treatment to adjust for hardness/and or sulphur odors. Mt dad has also replaced his deep well pump 3 times because of lightening strikes at a substantial cost. I have a shallow well pump locate in my house that cost about the same as an above ground pool pump. I would consult a water expert to analyze the quality and the recovery rate. They could tell you what is appropriate. As for my dug well. I'm very happy I have one.

FWIW
This is good to know--dug wells are NOT the kiss of death and can even be a blessing.

Most of the houses we have seen in Gilford and Meredith have some kind of water treatment. Mostly those salt bins that we were told are treating excessive "iron" in the water. We've never heard about sulfur or hard water.

Also, doesn't it seem odd that your dad's well pump has been struck by lightening not once, but THREE times? What does he have, a lightening rod attached to it or something?

I am definitely going to talk to the well-driller people and water experts if we decide to go forward with the process.

You have made me smile this afternoon with some hope.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote