Thread: E15
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
I owned a truck that would typically achieve from 16.5 to 17.0 average miles per gallon. When ethanol arrived on the scene, I noticed my fuel economy dropped to 14.0 average m.p.g.

If the intent of ethanol is to reduce our oil consumption, then I think they missed the mark and are exacerbating the problem. While using ethanol my fuel economy dropped by 18%, even though I was buying 10% less oil per gallon of fuel purchased. By doing the math, I realized my OIL consumption increased by 8%

The only people benefiting by this program is the government by the taxes reaped by the increase in consumption, and the farmers who are receiving the government subsidies.

One other thing, per mile driven, I believe I am also pumping more pollution into the atmosphere. This program is a loser no matter how they try to spin it.
I have a 2002 truck and the same with me, I cannot get over 13.2 mpg at all. when I bought it used, before the ethanol, I was getting up to 18mpg. sometimes more on the highway. Even more crazy, I had a complete tune up a couple of months ago and still no improvement.