Thread: A10s
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Killevippen

Default It made me think....

I was outside doing some end-of-summer maintenance work and could literally "feel" the plane coming. I remembered feeling, hearing, then seeing something similar a few years back so I ran to my deck to see if I might get a look. I live on the northern part of the lake, very close to M'boro airport, so watching planes approach is but one of the many occasional attractions we get each summer. Amazingly, the A10 (as I now know thanks to these posts) went directly over my house, maybe 300 feet or so above, heading SE. I could feel the inside of my chest vibrate as it flew over. My 5-year old ran out with a startled, but definitely excited "What's that?!!!?." I told him some type of military plane, "and maybe if we're lucky it'll pass by again" of course knowing that there was probably no chance.

So I went back to my work (sadly, attaching the 2" ball to my truck to do you-know-what in couple of weeks), when I got that sense that it was heading back my way. So again I ran to the deck and again it flew over, just slightly between my house and the woods heading N -- was it even lower this time? My little guy was very excited, though I'm not sure he actually saw it. This began a good thirty minutes of "what type of plane is that", "how do people build those plans", "is that plane faster than the plane that takes us to Philadelphia" .... and so on. It's great to be 5!

As for my thoughts, having just finished reading Junger's War, it did make me think about what it must be like hearing those planes, and the like, overhead when they are there for business. Definitely glad I can only imagine, and even more thankful for those who are serving our country and face the real prospect every day.
Killevippen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killevippen For This Useful Post: