View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #41
Justenuff

Default Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Quoted for truth ! The "problem" with boating at night is that there's very little visual cues as to how far away a boat is. During the daytime a glance is sufficient to know if another boat is danger close and to assess it's general heading. At night all you have are points of light that must be observed for a period of time to get the above. I'm curious, it was written that both parties didn't see the other's lights until the "last second". That's a bit different from seeing them and not realizing they were too close. While I agree it may be harder to pick out a boat heading directly towards (or worse, directly away from) you, I've found the red/green sidelights standout pretty well from the background of cabin and house and other lights. Also both boats "swerved to the left" ??? Given the damage shown on WMUR's vid, I'll take that to mean each turned to port which is a bit odd (depending on the circumstances of course). I wonder just where btw Sandy and L Bear Is this happened ? That's an open stretch of water w/o obstructions.

ps - I was told in no uncertain terms that the Littlefield "accident" (all by itself) was proof positive that a 25 mph speed limit was needed. I wondered then what would happen when we had one at less than that speed. So ... time for a 15 mph limit ? Or shall "we" start determining the root causes and address them instead ?

I know it's not exact, but just remember that when you head on collide with another boat, car or whatever, it's equivalent to your speed plus the speed of the other vehicle, so in this case 40 - 50 mph. Not a lot of reaction time. Both operators seemed to do a good job of avoiding serious injury.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote