View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEP170DW View Post
First off I'll fess up and let you know I'm in the HVAC business. We live and work local so I like to check in this forum periodically to see whats on folks minds.
You could consider and Air Exchange Heat Pump / AC for an extremely efficient heat source, especially in the spring / fall. You get AC as a bonus for those few sticky weeks / days in summer. We've installed several on the islands, matter of fact just put one in on Melody Island off Wolfboro Bay yesterday.
Do some research, just google "Air Exchange Heat Pump" you'll find they use low wattage to produce lots of heat. The newest models are even better than the info you'll find on the web. The technology for heating has leaped in the last couple years.
Electric is only used to circulate the refrigerant, controls and DC fan. The units have a reversing valve so in heating the liquid phase changes to gas outside and absorbs energy and transfers it inside as heat (kind've like a refrigerator).
I have a small unit and I use it way more for heating than cooling. It saved me over 200 gls of oil this past winter. As a matter of fact it's 57F out and my heat pump is keeping my house warm for pennies today.
I agree, a heat pump is probably the way to go on an island. We have Mitsubishi split system heat pump colling and heating a couple of room in our PA house, it is rated 26 SEER and 10.6 HSPF, ran all winter and summer, it affected our electric bill like leaving a light bulb on.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote