View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #17
hancoveguy

Where I am a Police Officer we take the handicap spaces seriously. So seriously in fact that if a handicap person with a placard doesn't post it properly they get the same $100 ticket that a non-handicap person would. The reason for this is that when the placard is not hung on on the mirror properly or the picture is covered or the form is not completely filled out and visible from the exterior of the vehicle it is usually because its not the rightful owner of the placard using it. In my professional experience, Handicap placards are misused and abused much more often by their owners or owner's families than the spaces are abused by non-handicap people. Logically speaking, it is utterly preposterous to have a handicap dock. This falls in line with drive up ATM's that have Braille on the keys, duh!! Why aren't ski lifts handicap accessible or ATV's? Why don't jet ski's come with a wheel chair lift?

It is terribly unfortunate that there are handicap people in the world and I believe that every effort should be made to give them access to necessities ie public stores, buildings, transit etc. I also believe that when its reasonable and feasible, access should made available to recreational areas as well. But there are clearly logical limits to what handicap people can have access to. The dock is unreasonable and as it was stated in a previous post... if the handicap spot is the last spot available, guess where I am docking. I welcome the ticket as well the opportunity to appeal.

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post: