View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #359
ApS

Question Needed: Better Weather Determinations or Bigger Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
"...So what do I think? I think that with many accidents, several things went wrong simultaneously to make that boat sink.

1. The boat leaked and as we were driving, it was slowing took on water.
2. The bilge pump never ran.
3. With the boat gaining weight and being heavy, we took on waves.
'Zackly what happened to my former boss on a nice sunny day in the Gulf Stream with a borrowed 40-foot Sport Fisherman.

A small opening had been previously enlarged by a marine mechanic to install new steering gear near the transom. In reverse (while fighting a big fish) they failed to notice the boat was taking on water. Far from shore, it was only when the engines stopped—and floorboards were floating—that they became aware there was a problem.

The Coast Guard appeared promptly enough, but a silly procedural delay ensued in getting a portable pump aboard the stricken craft. A short time later, the attempt by the Coast Guard to tow the boat resulted in the towline parting—then "glug" went the Sport Fisherman into 80-feet of water.

BTW I: A storm in 2005/2006 was called at "60-MPH" winds by poster DRH in West Alton. Looking out at the lake just a few miles away, I didn't see three-foot waves—or any waves at all!

All I could see was a huge sheet of white spray across two square miles of Lake Winnipesaukee.

BTW II: This Cobalt could appear for sale—advertised:
Quote:
"Fresh water use only".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote