View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #49
ApS

Cool Maybe just as well we weren't there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
"Everyone who was on the Blizzard jury please post "I was a juror". If you were not please post "I was not there"..."
I was not there, but I followed it while awake.

Especially during technical testimony, one or more jurors will fall asleep. Therefore, you can state, "I was a juror", but still be a juror who "was not there".

Excerpts from a site on juries:

Quote:
"...the main thing that's newsworthy is that these sleeping jurors made the paper while other jurors slept in trials all over America.

"If you're a trial lawyer, you've seen jurors sleeping.

"People are tired. Really, really tired...On top of our other worries, nowadays we're losing sleep over the economy.

"Fatigue not only impairs memory and learning generally...but a a 2007 study suggests it specifically impairs moral judgment.

"You can often spot fatigue in voir dire if you remember to look. Tired jurors often look tired, will say they're tired, and will make you tired when they describe what they have to do in a typical day.

"If a juror who keeps falling asleep isn't dismissed, it's usually because a lawyer forgot to ask, unless the trial has gone on so long and the panel is so small that the dismissal would mean (or threaten) a mistrial.

"As we've noted, people are tired, so if a juror falls asleep while you're talking, it's usually not entirely your fault. But think about whether it partly is. The juror was awake earlier, right? And if one juror slept through your expert's testimony, how many others daydreamed?"...you need to figure out how to make it interesting -- preferably before anybody falls asleep..."
http://jurylaw.typepad.com/deliberat...or_misconduct/

Heck, Judges fall asleep! (Most notably on the Supreme Court of the United States).

If there's an appeal (and I'd expect one) we'll have transcripts of exactly what went on—eventually.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote