View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The sticker you describe is unoffically known as the "milfoil sticker". It costs $20 and comes with a pamphlet that educates how to stop the spread of invasive plant species, but does not include any instruction on any other Maine marine laws. I buy mine at the town hall where I own my vacation property. Public ramps on lakes that don't yet have invasive species issues are often attended by invasive plant inspectors. Sadly, these inpectors do not sell said stickers, which I think is really dumb. I think it's silly to have an inspector that can turn you away for not having a sticker, but can't help you get one on a Sunday morning...
If you live in the State of Maine -or- register your boat here, they actually have started tacking on the "milfoil education" fee onto the registration.

If anyone thinks Winni is unsafe, they need to boat on Sebago on a busy weekend. There is no safe passage rule/law and open exhausts are permitted in Maine as well. I like the 150 rule personally, but I think the violations being wide-spread are not some huge problem on Winni with the exception of the Weirs area on Sat/Sun.