View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

Now personally I like some aspects of what Maine has done. They make you get a "use decal" if you come in from out of state. I have no idea how much these cost but I can't believe it is a huge charge. When you get the decal they have the opportunity to inform you of the Maine specific laws(whether they do or not I don't know). Now as far as getting the word out about needing the decal, I know there is a sign on 95 and I believe also on other major routes bringing people into the state and especially to the major inland water areas.

The sticker you describe is unoffically known as the "milfoil sticker". It costs $20 and comes with a pamphlet that educates how to stop the spread of invasive plant species, but does not include any instruction on any other Maine marine laws. I buy mine at the town hall where I own my vacation property. Public ramps on lakes that don't yet have invasive species issues are often attended by invasive plant inspectors. Sadly, these inpectors do not sell said stickers, which I think is really dumb. I think it's silly to have an inspector that can turn you away for not having a sticker, but can't help you get one on a Sunday morning...