View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
Bob M

Default Auto Registration

The NH law was changed a couple of years ago for non residents registering a car in NH. Previously, according to the law, the registered vehicle was supposed to be back where it was garaged at midnight every night. Now the law is a little more reasonable in that it allows the car to be out of state for two weeks a year. In addition they tightened up the registering process.

Two years ago I became a Florida resident for property tax considerations. I drive one of our two cars back and forth to Florida while the second one stays in NH all year. When I tried to renew my NH registrations for both cars the Gilford Town Clerk required me to sign an official state form, under penalty of perjury, stating that the registered vehicles would be remaining in NH according to the state law. I immediately pulled the registration for the car that we use to drive to Florida. It was NH's loss and my gain as I saved over $500 by registering the car in Florida. This state form is required to be signed every year when you renew your registration. I was also required to show my Florida drivers license and to show proof that I was a property owner in Gilford NH.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote