View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #52
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Not to derail this but I'd love a good Greek or Mediterranean restaurant to open up in the LR. We're fans of The Athens Restaurant in Manchester - I'd love something like that up here. There's a decent Greek population in Laconia (that's where Argie is from - he's first generation American - parents are Greek)... If I just had the money and the right spot...
Ain't eaten there in a few years. Greek salad's great there. No lettuce as ought be the case. Lotsa Americans are surprised when they get a salad in Greece to find no lettuce.

IMHO, the spinach pie is a little bland. It's about the only chow I'm particular about. I love them red potatoes they have there.

To bring this back to topic -

Spanakopita and baklava both use filo dough. In Ottoman times, filo was of such importance that the royal house had 2 head chefs - one for everything else...and one whose sole task was making filo.

Since we're talking about the other side of the Mediterranean...

Until the 15th c. there was a strong moorish presence in the Iberian Peninsula. Putting items with filo on the menu might be a way to acknowledge the region's fascinating history!

(Okay, a stretch, but I forgot my lunch and could really go for a piece of spinach pie about now.)