Thread: Aluminum Docks
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #17
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So I always here about people considering aluminum docks I always ask one question why? Now sure the Aluminum docks offer Maintance free, and a modern look... But are they really worth the Money. When I started to think about revamping some of my dock I gave Aluminum some consideration. I came to one conclusion, unless I purchase a crank up, it wasn't worth.

Instead I continue to use wood constuction. I make the sections smaller 4 X 6 instead of 4 X 8... I make the floor boards removable... all in all I have reduced the wieght which was my concern. I Have a structure I can easily fix if something happens. I also couldn't beat the cost... (4) 2X6X8, about 8 decking boards and some strapping. Because I already have all the hardware for legs etc. I don't have that cost. All in all people really need to look back at wood, and realize that by changing things with ideas like removable floor boards, Pipe legs etc. you can reduce wieght and end up with an easy to remove system.... for way less money.....
The original post asked about 6 foot wide sections. That alone, from a weight perspective, makes a big difference. The 15 year warranty on mine was definitely a consideration. The biggest reason for me was the seasonal dock in/out procedure that dock companies get ridiculous money for. With the aluminum, I do it myself with my sons saving upwards of $700 per season for a dock my size and we can do it in less than an hour. There was a 3K difference in price at the time. It was worth it to me. This is the year I break even not having to pay an installer