View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #12
ApS

Default Eagles are not "quite" scavengers...

Eagles will take most anything as food: From a distance, one way to distinguish which bird has just taken a fish is to see the method by which the fish is caught. One large raptor that is easily mistaken for an eagle is the Osprey.

An Osprey will catch a fish beneath the surface, leave a large spray, get soaked, and will shake itself off as it flies off afterwards. (And "manually" turn the fish head-first into the air stream of flight).

A Bald Eagle will normally stay dry and will "snatch" it off the surface. It is rare that you will see an eagle with a live fish. (Though I have seen a Bald Eagle pulled under the surface of the water! )

After a meal, an Osprey will fly down to the surface and drag its feet through the water, giving their talons a "rinse". I haven't seen this behavior with the Bald Eagle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
"...Should we respect the person that bestowed an awful death on the poor squirrel by drowning it...?"
What part of "Hav-a-Hart" doesn't FLL understand?

Being heavier, gray squirrels will "trip" the trap easier, but I find that it is red squirrels that are more destructive to cottages. (But "reds" take far more patience to trap in a "Hav-a-Hart" trap).

The eye of a Bald Eagle (in many hawks) has a sharp ridge over the eye that makes it look very serious. This photo of a Bald Eagle was accompanied by a phrase saying:
Quote:
"I don't like what I'm seeing".

Gray Squirrels are more wary than other squirrels although they can be bribed to perch on an ankle.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 11-24-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Switch Eagle Photos
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote