View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #554
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Better yet, we should have a "safe passage" law on the roads too...since that works so well on the lake. Then the driver would have slowed to 6MPH when he got within 150FT of the deer and probably would have then been able to avoid it. As stupid as this sounds, this the the very logic that your group uses to claim the 150' rule is the cure to all of our troubles. Boaters going 70MPH leave themselves too few microseconds to react to the unforeseen within that 150' "safety zone". It's a good distance at 45 MPH. It's way to small at 70-100MPH.
I wince every time I read one of your posts ridiculing the boating laws in the state. Since you also make fun of the Marine Patrol (bolded part), I'll leave it up to the reader where you're coming from on that.

I don't think any boat should be heading towards a stationary object within 150' at 70 mph or 45 mph. At either speed, I view it as a mistake, and hopefully was not intentional. I agree with you that at 70 to 100 mph that's way too close a margin, but I do not agree that at 45 mph it is a Safe distance when closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I can't say my biggest concern is the ejected occupants. I worry more about the innocent bystanders in the debris path ("debris" including the carcasses of the ejected of course). They did not choose to be involved with this as the ejected passengers did....
It's pretty apparent you're quite selective in whom you care for. You've labeled the dead fishermen "Idiots", probably because they account for fully 100% of the deaths on Winni in 2009. But regardless of your opinion, they were human beings and boaters, and probably had families that thought a lot of them. Everyone makes a mistake or two.

Again, I was speaking to safety, and specifically, Kill Switch Lanyards. I think they are a valuable safety tool on any power boat, regardless of speed. I think most boaters can judge for themselves whether they regard the instant stopping of a boat where the operator is no longer able to man the controls is a good thing or not.

I really think you need to get your own personal priorities in order El before you start denigrating the boating rules, the Marine Patrol, and worst of all, the deceased.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: