View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Diamond Island objects

As there is a fair amount of interest in Diamond Islands' Scripps-related history, I add the following, for what it's worth:

Decided to dive deeper off Diamond to see if I could find the RR track that descends into deep water. I could swear I saw this RR track setup maybe ten years ago-miniature RR tracks with rails about 24" apart set onto concrete pilings about 3-4 feet high off the lake bottom-am I positive? No-where I saw this structure I can't say for sure but my I am of the opinion it was off Diamond; I know I was diving wet (wetsuit) so I stopped at the nasty thermocline at about 35 feet when we hit perhaps 50 degree water; Tough to hit...ice-cream headaches etc..

A buddy and I have dived this dry (in drysuits) in the past parallel to the shore starting south of the brown boathouse then north to the raft just offshore adjacent to the Empty Pockets wreck which sits at 55 feet on the slope; First went out to 60-65 feet or so then swam north-no RR track that we could find.

In the past I have found a huge (ten foot diameter) concrete pipe and other such large industrial objects; One target I did find and later bagged on side-scan (image attached) which might be railroad-related is a big steel I-beam frame structure mounted on a concrete footing that is about (bear with me here) about 9 x 9 feet and about 5 feet high/thick. It looks like it has an actual seat on it at the top-like a chair-as if to observe from.

Image attached doesn't look like much but dive it and see for yourself; You can see the right-angles of the block base on the bottom and the encrusted tower frame going up into the water column. Again, doesn't look like much but it's real.

Cross-hairs are of my cursor on the side-scan adjacent to it, and the coordinates are:

43 34.254 071 19.411

Again, Map Datum WGS84

If anyone can help me here on finding the RR tracks I would love to dive them as deep as they go-I bail on depth at about 130 feet max..

I may post photos of this site later if I can dig them up.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote