View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #40
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Another theory that doesn't pan out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Who's to know? A close call is bad enough. Longtime readers here will recall that none other than Bill Marriott nearly ran my kayak down—in reverse!

My BIL tells of a neighbor's all-white GFBL nearly backing over their kayak when they were close to shore.

Excepting Evenstar, how do kayakers report their near-misses except to other kayakers or newspapers? Similar instances will appear in our local NHLakes and Mountains newspapers. (Most complain through a letter).
IOW you have no idea as to how the raising of the $$ limit has, or hasn't, affected the reporting of boat/boat or boat/kayak collisions. As far as near misses go, there is no $$ damage done (it's that whole miss thing) and so there hasn't, now or years ago, been any compulsory reporting of them. And as far as the non-misses goes, can you imagine the victim not reporting the incident (assuming they thought they were guilt free) ? So the stats on the lake aren't skewed by the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Another boater more savvy than I am said it much better than I have, but let's not go there.
So what limit does Les Hall think would be worse that the present 45 MPH ? Would it be so low as to preclude ... waterskiing ? Hey mebbe that should be applied on Sunapee. Seems they have a problem. Or might it just be that speed isn't the real problem ... naaaah can't be that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post: