View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #40
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Nice but not necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think the reasoning behind a "seperation" between the Red/Green and the "all around" white light is to lend Perspective to what the "other boat" sees. It gives a sense of the length of the vessel and the changing Perspective (angle), gives the "other vessel" an idea what angle/course "Our" boat is steering. The principle is difficult to describe so it that it makes sense.
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense but I've seen all manner of mounting for the sidelights, ranging from true sidelights on either side of the cabin to the usual combo red/green on the bow. The former, combined with a masthead light, are often seen on big cruisers and are almost aligned fore/aft. Smaller boats usually have a pole light near the stern and the combo light, which might lead you to believe (at night going by their lights) that they were a bigger boat than the aforementioned cruisers. While it might be nice to have some uniformity in this regard, I've not seen it nor do I believe it's required by law. If anyone knows differently please informs us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
If there were no seperation rules required between the Red/Green and "all around" White.....then we could put ALL our lights on the same pole anywhere on the vessel. NB
Yup, check out some sailboats, especially those with taller masts.