View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #127
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Set the night speed limit to either 30 or 35 MPH. Why ? My best attempts to get a handle on it tell me the average joe might get into trouble above 40 MPH at night. I doubt there's much safety benefit to 25 vs 30 vs 35. But there's certainly a difference in boat handling and efficiency. Tell you what, in the spirit of compromise and to keeps things nautical, make it 30 knots.

For daytime let it be unlimited in the Broads and 1000' ft away from any other boat. It's the 45 MPH the supporters want in all other places. Reasonable and prudent clause applies at all times as it always has. Why ? Because the number of truly fast boats is so low that the "speed" problem is more theoretical than actual and since you can't please either side completely ... send them to play in different rooms !
And just maybe, I can get away with a comment here.... Enforce the laws that are and were law before the speed limit. First of all, lets disallow darts and a dartboard with speed limit stickers pasted all over it in the lawmaker's chambers.... The lawmaker's have unlimited resources at their disposal. They are not where they are to throw indiscriminate patches, but instead to collectively solve problems, and to protect the public at Large. Sometimes they get carried off the pathway.
I understand that most of them are trying to enjoy their summer vacations at this time, so I as well will go away now!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html