View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #63
BeaverIslandGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allday View Post
As I have read the forum for a few years now and I often wonder if the people bashing restaurants would do so if they in turn had a load of people and an public forum critiqueing their weekly preformance. Surely you all have messed up a few times at work but no one has coralled several others to never do business with your employers company? The owner overreacted for sure, but she has indeed spent $$ opening up a restaurant in a time when others are closing (under some pressure??). The child was pulling a prank and got caught. The owner over reacted, enough said. I understand they served good food in plymouth and will do so here, its shamefull for posters (nameless and faceless) to jump on the I'll never go there now band wagon knowing only whats posted here.

Even now, an apology could still end this incident.

This posting has to do with all the restaurants that take a beating on this site not just this one.....
Actually, the reporting of bad experiences with poor service/products is nothing new, just the impact of technology. The old (pre forum, blog, etc) rule of thumb was that a bad experience was told to 100 people (10 direct, and 10 one level beyond). With the current electronics (and, yes, ability to do so in an unattributable mode), it is probably 1000 or 10,000 reach now.

And yes, this did and does indeed drive customers away. Always has, always will. Does not matter if it is a restaurant, retail store, service business, or other establishment. While every "screwup" at work should not result in a public thrashing, you CAN expect those that impact customers to result in consequences. Even when the customer is wrong, they are right. As for a company coralling other companies to convince them never to do business, companies are careful here as it can lead to "tortuous interferance with a contract". No such stipulation exists for end consumers.

Assume that every thing you write on the internet and every minute of your life (and hopefully only the public parts of your life) will end up on the front page of the paper and on youtube. We are there now. I am actually surprised that someone did not whip out a cell phone, snap a video, and post it.

I agree with newbesaukee that even after the original incident in the restaurant, the owner could have ended it on the subsequent call (starting with the aforementioned appology) and possibly working with KC to work out a suitable punishment at the restaurant on a subsequent day. Sadly, as stated, she compounded the issue and her silence here, though she knows about the forum and postings, does indeed speak volumes.