View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #40
jeffk

Default Way over the top

I'm sorry, unless someone is being VERY aggressive there is absolutely no excuse for an angry confrontation. Messing up some condiments? Really? Sounds pretty childish to me. Oops, they were kids. Threatening her business, come on. That's an enormous exaggeration to try to justify the owner's anger.

If the owner was upset she should have calmly requested the parents to supervise and removed all the condiments from the kids table. If the owner really wanted to keep her cool she could have just replaced the condiments after they left. There is certainly no money issue here, all the condiments couldn't have been worth more than a buck or two. This was just an attitude thing on the part of the owner.

Sorry to all all who are defending the owner but even now, KonaChick doesn't come off as angry or nasty. I believe she is telling the story as it happened. Yeah, different people see things differently but not this differently. The owner got confrontational over a couple of kids being foolish and there is simply no justification. The owner now has to save face in this discussion and I have doubts about her denials. KonaChick sounds mostly embarrassed about the whole thing and annoyed at what her kid did. Frankly on the 'annoying things that kids do scale' this only rates about 3 of 10. From behavior I have seen in restaurants by obnoxious adult patrons it sounds like the owner is going to have a stroke when she eventually runs into one of them. The owner did FAR more damage to her business by yelling at customers than the kids did. If you were at a restaurant and you witnessed an blowup by one of the staff would you want to go back there?

Just to be clear, I'm not letting the kid off the hook. Neither is KonaChick. But how about a proportional response?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: