View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #31
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Portion of RSA posted by Skip

I wonder if your SSN is legally exempt from this paragraph. I checked both my SS Card and my wife's and both specifically state:
"For Social Security and Tax Purposes - Not for Identification"

So in addition to the MPO in all probability putting Winnipesaukee's Name, address and SSN on the air (exposing him to identity theft) the SSN is NOT to be used for identification according to the Federal Government (Social Security Administration).
I believe if you check on this you will find that MPs do not call stops in, nor give any information out over the air, except in extreme circumstances. The information they request is for filling out their paperwork documenting the stop. That protects both you and the officer.

There were many years that the MP functioned in the field (small lakes, rivers, ponds) without any radios at all. Even when radios finally were obtained, many could not reach Gilford. Even Winni has dead spots.

The SS request is made when the person in question has no ID. He can say his name is John Smith and he lives at 123 main St. Does that positively identify him? Most people are honest with their SS # and will give it out to an officer, although they have the choice to say no. The flip side of that is, if the officer is not satisfied that the person's true identity is being given, that person may be brought in for further investigation until which time he is properly identified.

The best policy, IMHO, is to be civil, cooperative and honest with the officer, whether on the water or on land. Having attitude does nothing to enhance your position. If you feel you were wrongly treated or verbally abused by the officer, make a complaint to HQ, rather than hash it out during the stop.