Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   A Chorus of Loons (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5982)

CanisLupusArctos 05-05-2008 02:03 AM

A Chorus of Loons

Just thought I would share one of the best performances I've heard from the loons in a while:

http://www.thesilentforest.com/nature/LoonChorus.wmv

It's 3 minutes, 45 seconds long.

This was recorded earlier tonight (it's 3 a.m. now). This and other nature recordings, including one other from tonight, are always available by going to the WeatherCam and clicking on the icon that says, "sounds, videos, and slide shows of the lake." I add the newest stuff at the top.

Enjoy!

Sunrise Point 05-05-2008 05:25 AM

Wow!

It's 6:15am and I am getting ready to go to work. After listening to your recording, I will be smiling all day!

Thank you so much!

riverat 05-05-2008 05:54 AM

Sounds like a slice of Heaven!

SteveA 05-05-2008 06:01 AM

Thank You !

What a nice way to start the day. Wish I could figure out how to turn a brief slice of that into my "ring tone". :D Then even unwanted phone calls would start out OK ! :rolleye2:

Sunbeam lodge 05-05-2008 06:51 AM

Loons

Heading back to the lake. Listening to the Loon calls in Raleigh N.C. Beautiful!
Reminds me of "On Golden Pond" "Norman hear the Loons welcoming us back"
Thanks for the memory will be home soon.

Pepper 05-05-2008 09:32 AM

Holy cow, that was incredible! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Merrymeeting 05-05-2008 11:31 AM

Even better with the chorus of Peppers in the background!

Sunrise Point 05-06-2008 05:00 AM

ring tone?

I think that it would be the best ring tone ever...is it possible to do?

NHKathy 05-06-2008 07:51 AM

Beautiful!

That was GREAT!
I wish I were there!!!

twoplustwo 05-06-2008 08:22 AM

ahhhhh

How relaxing, that was like a few minutes of free therapy:) Thanks!

PC31 05-06-2008 08:41 AM

Thank you CLA that was awesome!!!! Thank you for taking the time to record and post the link.

To answer the ring tone question. Some phones can record anything so you record the sounds off the computer speaker and use it for your ringtone.

islandAl 05-06-2008 08:59 AM

Thanks

Can't wait to get back up and listen in person (but probably will not hear that concentation)
Thanks again.:):):)

wMw 05-06-2008 09:54 AM

That was beautiful. Thank you so much!

Lin 05-06-2008 10:13 AM

awesome recording of the loons CLA. Beautiful.

parrothead 05-06-2008 12:03 PM

What a great sound

Thank you for posting that.

CanisLupusArctos 05-07-2008 01:56 PM

Glad you all enjoyed it!

As I stood there recording it, all I could do was thank God and try to keep my own breath silent and stay motionless (the mic is very sensitive.) Otherwise, the most I could do was push the button on the recording device. It was one of those rare moments when I couldn't believe how much they were all singing. It seemed like every one of them was chiming in. And it was even more rare that I actually had my recording device within reach - one never knows when they're going to break into song like that.

For those who like to start the day with sounds of the lake, there are more lake sounds (including more loons) that I've posted on the WeatherCam site since last year.

riverat 05-08-2008 06:59 AM

It is possible they were greeting each other back after a long winter, old friends reuniting and new friends saying hello for the first time.Similar to the greetings heard around the lake this time of year in local eateries and establishments(and the Forum), Is'nt it wonderful, let me chime in also "WELCOME HOME EVERYBODY"

Pepper 05-08-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverat (Post 69905)
... "WELCOME HOME EVERYBODY"

I second that! :D

Chickie 05-08-2008 09:38 AM

Beautiful Sounds of Spring!

I certainly enjoyed that chorus of loons, as it is a sound of spring I rarely hear where I am. I do have the corner on spring peepers, however, and I sat outside last evening drinking it all in and enjoying every minute. Has anyone seen a Baltimore Oriole or hummingbird yet? They should be arriving very soon.

NHKathy 05-19-2009 02:25 PM

Went up to visit my in-laws at the Lake this past weekend and Friday night, we arrived at their cottage in Moultonborough around 10PM. When I opened the car door, the Loons were all I could hear! The chorus made me think of this thread and the great audio clip here. I was so wonderful! My in-laws said they had just started up not even 2 minutes before they saw our headlights, so, they were welcoming us, as it was our 1st visit this year! :D

Rattlesnake Gal 05-19-2009 04:13 PM

Wow!

That was incredible! Thank you very much for sharing this amazing audio with us CLA.

Winniview 05-20-2009 05:19 AM

last night

the loon chorus was going strong all last night in meredith bay

Sunrise Point 05-20-2009 02:06 PM

The best medicine

I have the link to the "chorus" bookmarked on my computer at work. When I need a pick-me-up, I just click on it and turn up the volume a little. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Lakesrider 05-20-2009 06:58 PM

Awesome recording.....

My windows are open, and I am listening to them right now as I write this.

I can just picture you almost passing out from holding your breath for that long.:laugh:

You simply have to love the sounds we get to hear up here. deer calls, turkeys, Fisher cats, humming birds, fox, bear, even the bats, that the city slikers just never get to. I feel sad for them city folk..... :(

Rattlesnake Gal 04-08-2010 02:51 PM

A Chorus of Loons

Where did the Chorus of Loons go?

Whenever we have company at the lake, we would play this amazing audio. The haunting melodies would just blow everyone away. It never fails to get Mac to howling too. :laugh:

Airedale1 04-08-2010 06:52 PM

Hauntingly beautiful, thank you.

Mee-n-Mac 04-09-2010 11:49 AM

You want loons ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 124162)
Where did the Chorus of Loons go?

Whenever we have company at the lake, we would play this amazing audio. The haunting melodies would just blow everyone away. It never fails to get Mac to howling too. :laugh:

I've got loons. Yup they're all over the hillside here. In and out of the cabins, doors banging, much cussin and fussin. I howl at 'em but they don't stop. Something about opening up, spring cleaning, etc, etc. I'd blow them away except they're family.

Errr, wait, you meant the aquatic fowl and your dog didn't you ?

Nevermind ....

Lucy Goose 04-09-2010 04:46 PM

Link does not work for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos (Post 69561)
Just thought I would share one of the best performances I've heard from the loons in a while:

http://www.thesilentforest.com/nature/LoonChorus.wmv

It's 3 minutes, 45 seconds long.

This was recorded earlier tonight (it's 3 a.m. now). This and other nature recordings, including one other from tonight, are always available by going to the WeatherCam and clicking on the icon that says, "sounds, videos, and slide shows of the lake." I add the newest stuff at the top.

Enjoy!

Would love to listen but it won't work. Tried going to the weather cam for winni and that does not work either.

Jeanzb1 04-10-2010 06:27 AM

Lucy Goose: I cannot open the link either. It says "Oops, Page Not Found."

tis 04-10-2010 06:39 AM

Looks like it expired. He posted that in 2008.

granitebox 04-10-2010 06:43 AM

Here it is

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYfYVzzZs48&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYfYVzzZs48&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mcdude 04-10-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 124162)

Must sound great in conjunction with your loon clock!!

Jeanzb1 04-10-2010 11:44 AM

Thank You to Granite Box !

I appreciate your posting the loon chorus. Cannot wait to return to the lake!

Nagigator 04-10-2010 02:05 PM

unbelievable

Wow! What a recording. I missed it the first time around. Thanks for bringing it back. And thanks, CLA, always great stuff!

Redwing 04-10-2010 03:47 PM

Music to my ears!

I couldn't open the link either, so many thanks for posting Granitebox! Can't wait to return to lake!!

mg2107 04-10-2010 07:55 PM

Can't open .

trfour 04-10-2010 08:59 PM

Noth'in Like The Sound Of Loons...

Around Lake Winnipesaukee!...
Now,... we have some loons here in Texas, trust me.
They cain't sang or hold a tune to the Lake Winni loons though! :) ;)

Terry

Cobalt 25 04-10-2010 09:14 PM

Just opened it at about 10pm.

ApS 04-11-2010 06:19 AM

ALL those calls are Loon Calls...But the Tremulo is "Especially" Special...

Aren't those distant echoes off the mountains wunnerful? :)

One of the loudest calls of the Loon in this recording is named the "tremulo".

Two Loons do a terrific exchange of "tremulo" calls, beginning at 2:06 in the recording. (Stopping only by 2:17). The call starts out, "WOO-hoo-hoo-hoo"—rapidly "spoken".

During daylight hours, the "tremulo" call can indicate a Loon in flight and—as far as I know—is the only call a Loon makes in flight. (Called with wide-open beak, and mostly during morning hours).

Even if you can't see the bird right away, you can use your ears to follow the bird until he comes into view.

Upon hearing this particular call, look along the treeline at about 80-feet :look: and, all summer long, you can be greeted by the rare sight of a Loon in flight. :) Sometimes, but rarely, there'll be a few simultaneously!

Loons have a unique "humpback" look in flight, but attain 90-MPH. :eek2:

http://www.ingridhunt.com/Images/The...-in-Flight.jpg