Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nice, Sunny Sunday... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26279)

ApS 08-30-2020 09:56 AM

Nice, Sunny Sunday...

So why do I see only one boat, water skiing, out there?

:confused:

ishoot308 08-30-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 342723)
So why do I see only one boat, water skiing, out there?

:confused:

Probably because of the 4-5’ waves in the broads! Crazy windy here on Welch!

Dan

Slickcraft 08-30-2020 11:02 AM

Current wind on west side of Welch: 25 mph average gusts to 34 mph:eek:

Maybe water skiing with a kite? No boat needed? Well downwind maybe.

We bailed out early today when it was only 15 mph.

Alan

camp guy 08-30-2020 11:09 AM

Nice, sunny Sunday

Take a ride down to the Carry Beach, Aps, and you will see why a lot of people are not out boating. This looks like the so-called "Canadian High" blowing away the humidity and pollen. This would be a great day for you to be in a Hobie Cat.

DEJ 08-30-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 342726)
Take a ride down to the Carry Beach, Aps, and you will see why a lot of people are not out boating. This looks like the so-called "Canadian High" blowing away the humidity and pollen. This would be a great day for you to be in a Hobie Cat.

He knows that, padding his post count IMO.

XCR-700 08-30-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 342724)
Probably because of the 4-5’ waves in the broads! Crazy windy here on Welch!

Dan

Well thats what kept us on dry land today.:rolleye1:

upthesaukee 08-30-2020 07:30 PM

Alton Bay

Alton Bay looked like the ocean from the Keewayden area.

Dave

betterthanbacon 08-30-2020 09:54 PM

Heavy chop. Great day to pull boat and give the hull a wash and wax

Biggd 08-31-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterthanbacon (Post 342762)
Heavy chop. Great day to pull boat and give the hull a wash and wax

Pulling a boat in that kind of wind is no easy task. Like riding a bucking bronco.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

XCR-700 08-31-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 342757)
Alton Bay looked like the ocean from the Keewayden area.

Dave

Not familiar with "Keewayden" where is that?

ApS 08-31-2020 07:38 PM

But the MP Did Troll By on Sunday—A Third Sighting this Season!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 342819)

There are two Keewaydins. When I had to make an emergency call to the Marine Patrol, they didn't know Lake Winnipesaukee had one on Winter Harbor. :rolleye1:

BTW: Here's a chart to calibrate wind speed: This past Sunny Sunday, I'd have placed Winter Harbor at a "6".

(But I've seen Winter Harbor at a "9"—twice). :eek:

upthesaukee 08-31-2020 10:37 PM

Near Sandy Point

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 342819)

It's about a quarter of a mile beyond Sandy Point on rte 11. Across the street from the fairly new Storage buildings.

Dave

XCR-700 09-01-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 342823)
It's about a quarter of a mile beyond Sandy Point on rte 11. Across the street from the fairly new Storage buildings.

Dave

Ok, I know where you are talking about.

As I kid I stayed most summers on Echo Point, but also some early or late season weekends at Sandy Point.

In the 1960's Alton Bay was like a magical place we traveled to.

A boat trip to Downings, or Sandy Point were just a thrill, and going to Weirs by Boat was like an adventure of the best possible kind, as we were in our tiny (by todays standards) 60's boat with like a 35HP motor and the old steering that looked like pulleys and clothesline.

Alton is bay is still one of my favorite cruises on Winnipesaukee.

Thanks

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...66&oe=5F73399E

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f7&oe=5F754235

jazzman 09-01-2020 10:58 AM

That chart is clearly for the ocean. The wind was indeed 25-30mph from my weather station on the broads side of Barndoor Island. I'm pretty sure there were not 9-12 foot waves in Winter Harbor. There were a few waves that topped my breakwater. With the water at it's current level the top of my breakwater is ~36" off the surface, so maybe you could argue from trough to peak was getting into the 5 foot range.

I find it amazing that people were out in boats on Sunday needing to be rescued.

Juiced06GTO 09-01-2020 03:38 PM

I have been out in Buzzards Bay in what NOAA and local boaters were calling 3', maybe 4, waves on a short period, in a 20' boat and never want to experience anything like that again. I was convinced they were 5-6' waves and was scared to turn the boat around to get back into the safety of the harbor. Most of the people laughed when I said how big they were and taught me real quickly about the relationship of southwest winds and incoming/outgoing tides in that area.

Too bad there aren't any buoys that measure wave height on the lake. It would be cool to see what they actually were. People tend to overestimate what they actually are, in the boat I was in, the 3' waves were coming right over the front of the boat, actual 5-6' waves would have been hitting me in the windshield!

Descant 09-01-2020 04:18 PM

Sea State?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO (Post 342837)
I have been out in Buzzards Bay in what NOAA and local boaters were calling 3', maybe 4, waves on a short period, in a 20' boat and never want to experience anything like that again. I was convinced they were 5-6' waves and was scared to turn the boat around to get back into the safety of the harbor. Most of the people laughed when I said how big they were and taught me real quickly about the relationship of southwest winds and incoming/outgoing tides in that area.

Too bad there aren't any buoys that measure wave height on the lake. It would be cool to see what they actually were. People tend to overestimate what they actually are, in the boat I was in, the 3' waves were coming right over the front of the boat, actual 5-6' waves would have been hitting me in the windshield!

Sounds like sea state 3-4, not just 3' waves.

ursa minor 09-01-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzman (Post 342835)
That chart is clearly for the ocean. The wind was indeed 25-30mph from my weather station on the broads side of Barndoor Island. I'm pretty sure there were not 9-12 foot waves in Winter Harbor. There were a few waves that topped my breakwater. With the water at it's current level the top of my breakwater is ~36" off the surface, so maybe you could argue from trough to peak was getting into the 5 foot range.

I find it amazing that people were out in boats on Sunday needing to be rescued.

Excellent point on the shorter period or crest to crest distance. There are areas where a long fetch for the wind and shallowing water will combine to stack up tall / short period chop on the lake. One example would be between Parker Island and Wolfeboro Neck with a strong west or west northwest wind. I’ve been in a 19 foot boat in that area where the stern was still up on the last wave when the next one broke over the bow. Might have something to do with my skepticism of bow riders...:D