Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bathtub Liner or Other Solution? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20185)

CateP 01-22-2016 09:43 AM

Bathtub Liner or Other Solution?

Hi there. We have an older bathtub that was "refinished" by one of those companies that spray stuff on the surface. Most of it cured well, but the floor got water underneath and now it is peeling away revealing the old tan color underneath. We are on a tight budget and looking for solutions and contractors who can help. Any ideas are most welcome and appreciated.

TheProfessor 01-24-2016 02:24 PM

I'd start a savings account for a new bath tub.
I had this done myself on one tub.
The original old bath faucet began to leak. That was a trick to find the tiny rubber gasket that was causing the drip. No, the local hardware store did not have gasket. Nor did plumbing wholesalers. I did find one but took much research.
It works. But the fan the installer used captured dust particles in air and ended up on tub surface.

As for your tub. You will have to find an installer to obtain a professional opinion if this stuff can be sprayed again. Not the best solution.

Just get a large rubber bath mat to cover the bottom of tub.

And begin to add to that savings account for a new tub. And of course a new fixture.

brk-lnt 01-24-2016 03:30 PM

I also concur with just save up to do it right. I remodeled an entire bathroom (DIY) for only a few hundred more than what bathfitter wanted just to drop a liner over my existing tub.

I've never seen one of those single-day bathtub paint or liner "upgrades" that looked like it was worth the money. They always end up looking like a cover job, and rarely hold up over long-term.

ishoot308 01-24-2016 03:40 PM

Cate,

Have to agree,...save your money and wait till you can do it right. Buy a new tub when the time is right and you won't regret it...

Dan

CateP 01-26-2016 03:51 PM

Clarification

Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify. Water got underneath the spray stuff on the surface of the tub, not underneath the actual tub. A small portion of the paint is peeling off revealing the older tan color beneath.

The tub and plumbing are in fine shape. The floor of the tub looks crappy.

TheProfessor 01-26-2016 05:12 PM

You have a couple of suggestions in postings above.

When the time comes to replace this old tub - get all new fixtures.
That's all.

Maybe you can find an installer of this stuff.
Maybe he/she can spray some more of this stuff. Done.

One issue is color match. Which may be impossible.
Another issue may be that installer will have to strip the bottom or where peeling. By this time you are into this process for big bucks.

There are also companies that put a new tub and/or tub surround over the old tub and tub surround. But check on those prices. Going piecemeal on this may not be the best method.

My bottom line is to get a mat. Live with it. Save for a new tub and new fixtures.

camp guy 01-27-2016 09:19 AM

Bathtub liner ...

Cate, Maybe you can find a color match with TV advertised Flex-Seal. It seems to me that according to the advertising for that product you could do most anything you want to your bathtub - after all, the Flex-Seal guy turns a screen door into luxury yacht.

brk-lnt 01-27-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 256328)
Cate, Maybe you can find a color match with TV advertised Flex-Seal. It seems to me that according to the advertising for that product you could do most anything you want to your bathtub - after all, the Flex-Seal guy turns a screen door into luxury yacht.

That stuff is a major ripoff and would not stand up to something like a tub floor that gets walked on. For what you would spend on that "screen door boat" you could just about buy an actual yacht.

dpg 01-28-2016 12:15 PM

2.98 floor mat from Wally-Mart should do the trick for awhile. :D

CateP 02-05-2016 10:19 AM

Floor Mat

Being the frugal New Englander that I am, we went with the floor mat for now. Tub surround cost was estimated around $5,000 from one company. $2500 from a local contractor. The house is being rented and eventually sold in a few years. Will re-visit the tub investment at that time.